- 1 Packet Traditional Yeast
- 1/3 C warm water
- 1 Tsp Honey or Sugar
- 3 1/3 C White (Bread) Flour + more for kneading and rolling
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 C warm water
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Fine Polenta
- Put yeast in a small bowl with 1/3 C warm water and 1 tsp honey or sugar.
- Stir to break up the yeast; cover and let sit for 10 minutes in a warm space, until the mixture looks bubbly and frothy.
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl to combine.
- Add 3/4 C warm water and the yeast mixture and mix with your hands to combine. Depending on your humidity levels, you may need to add a little more water. If your dough is too tough, add a bit more until it becomes malleable.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead it for 10 minutes or until the dough becomes elastic and soft.
- Lightly oil the inside of that same large bowl with the olive oil and set the dough in it; jiggle the bowl to lightly cover the dough with the oil. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size, approx 1 – 2 hours.
- Punch it down to release the air and then re-cover, allowing to rise a further hour. This helps develop flavour!
- Divide the re-risen dough in half. From here you can go to the next step OR you can chill it in the fridge for up to 12 hours before continuing (or freeze it till a later date). If you refrigerate or freeze the dough, let it come to room temperature before rolling out.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F and place 2 baking sheets in the oven as it heats.
- Generously powder your counter with flour and roll each dough half to 1/4 inch thick or less and shape to fit your pans.
- Remove the hot pans from the oven, carefully line with parchment paper (be careful – it’s hot!) and sprinkle with the polenta. Transfer your rolled dough onto sheets. Cover with your favorite toppings. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until crusts are golden and cooked through. I often wait to add the cheese until just 5 minutes before the crusts are done to make sure they cook through and the cheese doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven, let sit for 5 minutes. Cut and eat.